Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 36 Cotopaxi, CO to Pueblo, CO

I started cycling, from the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California on August 19th, and today I rolled into my final destination of this journey, Pueblo, Colorado on September 23th, 2009. I followed the Western Express Route, using the Adventure Cycling Maps, which were very informative and important to me. There is a lot of isolation through deserts on this route, so information was crucial, to say the least. These maps are very detailed and lead the way for me, as I just had to pedal. Now it's time to look back and reflect on what I have achieved. I always say, "it's not about the mileage, it's not about the duration, and it's not about me". Bicycle touring to me is "to be one with the road", "the unknown around that next corner", and "the friendships you make, as your passing through". I'm forever in debt, to the many people I've met along the way. You've all touched me in your own way, and for that, you'll never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories, they'll last a lifetime. On my last day of riding, I have one last summit to climb today, and the rest of the ride will be all downhill to Pueblo. I used more hand and toe warmers today as I hit a snow storm above 7,000'. At about 6,000' the rain started. The more I climbed, the colder it got. At about 7,000' the rain turned to snow and I wasn't near the summit as I had over 1000 more feet to climb. I had to pull over a suit up with all my winter gear. Hat, gloves, rain jacket and pants, and of course my pool towel, that I used as a face mask. I think I let out some choice words, but no one was around. This to me, was the cherry on top. I can't believe, I am cycling through a snow storm, or snow storms, because the last week has been crazy around here, weather wise. I finally crested the summit, but I wasn't finished yet. Going down this summit wasn't going to be a bargain either. Snow and freezing rain pelleting off the little exposed parts of my face, and the cold wind was sneaking through the smallest of cracks in my armor. It wasn't until I dropped a few thousand feet that I could stop shivering. I even ducked into a library in the tiny town of Wetmore. It was closed but the door was open. A few elderly people were inside, sitting at a long table drinking coffee and they invited me to join them. The one time I wish I drank coffee, as they offered me a cup. I really needed to warm up and it was very comfortable inside this building. I sat just soaking up the heat, while shooting the breeze with a few of the local towns people. They gave me the news I've wanted to here. "25 miles to Pueblo, and all downhill". Off I went, to finish something I started over a month ago. To reach the end of my route, in Pueblo, Colorado. The incredible part is that I heard the weather around here is supposed to get warm next week. That figures! This has been a tough tour, maybe one of my hardest, though nowhere close to the longest. Between the terrain, the weather, and the lack of services, the Western Express Route took a lot out of me. So after 36 days, 1,661 miles, and 4 states, I have finished my 12 tour by bicycle. My total tour mileage is over 31,000 miles and I'm not done yet. There's still a lot of places on this earth to see, as I've only scratched the surface. Until the next tour, thanks for viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment