Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 34 Gunnison, CO to Garfield, CO

My plan for today, was to take a half day and stop at the town of Sargents and get another cabin. Rest up and tomorrow, climb the Continental Divide to Monarch Pass. I was so happy to get to Sargents by noon, knowing I was going to stop there. I went inside the cafe and store to rent a cabin, when the owner of them told me a storm was coming tonight and it was going to bring a couple of inches of snow to the mountain pass. He told me I'd be better off doing it today than chancing it tomorrow. My heart sank, as I didn't really want to climb this monster today. This is not just another mountain pass, as I have done what seems to be hundreds of times before. This is Monarch Pass at 11,312' over the Continental Divide and will be the highest I have ever been on a bicycle. So I am a bit nervous and excited at the same time. He told me about a lodge that was just over the summit, and that it is only 10 miles to the top. 10 miles straight up, sounds easy in a car, doesn't it. Ok, Ok, I said, your right. I have to do it today, thank you I said and pedalled up that monster. I got the sense people in the cars passing me, wondered why I would want to bike this. I don't know that I want to, but it's part of my route, so I am doing it. I know I can do it. I can climb pretty good and I still have energy after eating a quick lunch in Sargents. It took two and a half hours to bike that 10 miles uphill to the summit. I threw my arms in the air in victory and took a few photos before heading into the summit store and cafe to warm up. It was close to freezing at 11,312' and it was 3 in the afternoon. Going down the backside of the pass was so cold. I was bundled up like I was in Alaska, in dead of winter, but that's how cold I was. Only a few miles and I found the lodge the man in Sargents was telling me about. My eyes lit up when I found out that this lodge has a outdoor hot tub, and indoor swimming pool, and a sauna. I used all 3 happily. The room for the night was only $40, the best deal of the trip. Thanks to the stranger in Sargents who told me to do the pass today. Yes, it snowed that night. Just an inch or two, but it's nice that I got the highest pass of the trip behind me. I will sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment