Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 17 Panguitch Lake, UT to Bryce Canyon, UT


It was freezing cold breaking camp this morning. When available at campgrounds, and it's this cold outside, what I do is go into the bathroom and use the hand dryer to warm up. I sometimes spend up to half an hour doing this, as it works great. After breaking camp and warming up, I cycled down the street to a church building that had sun on it. My camp was all shade and was to cold to eat breakfast there so I thought I'd move on and find a better spot. I had to do take a small detour leaving camp because a herd of cows had taking over the roadway and pretty much blocked my route completely. I didn't want to squeeze between cows, so I went around the long way. After breakfast and back on the road, I got flagged down by a girl and a guy standing beside the road waving for me to stop. At the time I was going downhill and pretty fast, so I didn't want to stop and I didn't know what they wanted. So I came to a hard stop and still going by them, but I pedalled back. They were Eric and Christie (photo above) from Minnesota, and they too were bike touring, and were told by someone in there campground that another biker (Me), was coming. So they came out to the road and waited for me to come by and waved me down to say hello. Come to find out, that Eric and Christie are biking down to Argentina on a tandem bike while pulling a trailer. I was very interested and we talked for a long time. They happen to have some family visiting with them now and are taking a few days off, and going to site see Bryce Canyon by car today. I eventually pushed on, heading for Bryce myself. As I cycled into Red Canyon the scenery turned amazing and to top things off, I had a bike path to follow for the next 10 miles. By late afternoon, I made it to the turn off for Bryce Canyon National Park. I was very excited knowing just how beautiful Bryce is and that I am going to take a day or two off the bike to check out the sites by shuttle bus. I was going to stay outside the park at Ruby's Inn but I decided to go the extra 3 miles today and stay in the park at North Campground. Pulling into the campground and lost as to which way to go, 2 woman just getting off a shuttle bus told me I must follow them to where bikers are allowed to camp. We were talking, and they too are on a bike tour, and are from Holland, and going to Moab, Utah. I got one of the last spots in the campground as it was getting to be Labor Day weekend and a busy time here. I set up camp and rested away.

No comments:

Post a Comment