Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 26 Hite Recreation Area, UT to Natural Bridges National Monumnet, UT

Wow, Wow, Wow! That's all I can say about today's turn of events. Where do I start! We woke up at 5:30am in total darkness and packed up using our headlights. Still, we only started to cycle just before daybreak at 7:15am. Right off the bat, I could tell we were in trouble with the winds today. Crazy headwinds, I'am talking 30 to 35 mph headwinds. Not good, not good at all. I put in my I-pod, cranked some tunes, put my head down and pushed those pedals. With over 3500' in elevation gain today and those winds pushing us nearly backwards, I knew this was going to be an insane day, but only 50 miles to Natural Bridges. Biking along, I happened to look over across the road and saw a man in a robe covered up from the sun and the wind, with a bicycle loaded beside him. We stopped to talk for a few, only to find out he was praying for the winds to stop with a Bible in his hands. We second that, I thought. I too was praying for the winds to stop, but just without the robe and the Bible. The girls and I stopped for lunch just off the road in what small bit of shade we could find. I laid out my tarp and we all sat on it eating our lunch. Greet and Margaret made eggs for all of us. I don't know what was in those eggs, but after lunch I just felt so strong on the bike and a little pissed off at the wind. I pushed as hard as I could, until I reached Natural Bridges NM and went into the visitors center. Just as I got to the center the skies open up. The rain came down so hard and so fast that I was really worried about the girls, still out on the road as I'am safe and sound under the shelter of the center. I found out that the campground was full and that the ranger had wanted us to bike back up the steep hill we just came down to camp for free in a wild spot she told me about. I don't think so, I thought to myself. No way are we going to pedal anymore, in this storm or even without the storm. I just had one of my hardest days on a bike ever and you want me to bike out of here late in the afternoon. No way! The girls came and to my surprise they did not get that wet as the storm had just missed them. I don't believe it I said. I also told them the news about the camping. They too, talked to the ranger and got the same response as I did. Not to worry, I have a plan, I said. I had met a man, named Stan, at the sign post to the park just an hour ago, and I know he got a campsite. Why don't we go and ask if we can camp on his site for one night. We all liked that idea and headed off to find Stan. We found Stan right away and he was happy to have us at his campsite, I think more than we were. Very lucky, very lucky we said to each other. Talking and setting up camp with Stan and another biker comes pedalling through. Need a spot says Stan! Yes I do, well Elliot from Colorado joined us too. Minutes later, two more bikers come into camp looking for a spot, and Stan again invites them to stay. Before you know it, we are having a small bikers party at Stan's site, who was here by himself before we came. We all joined our food together and made one big dinner and ate together talking about our journeys so far. I can't believe the ups and the downs of today, unbelievable. Thank you Stan, you made our day! ( In the photo above left to right is Margaret, Greet, Elloit, and Stan. Tim and Ian were setting up camp during this shot)

No comments:

Post a Comment