Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 24 Hite Recreation Area, UT

Rest Day, Rest Day, Read all about it! That was the headlines going through my head today. Fun in the sun, was the name of the game for today. We found out fast that the sun is too strong and hot to be out in it all day. So we came up with a plan to make our own shelter from the sun. We used both of the girls bikes because they had kickstands and we used my tarp to go across the bikes with a long piece of wood for support. Instant shelter! We used our therm-a-rest sleeping pads for cushion and all huddled under it away from the sun, other than going to cool off with a dip in the Colorado River. It was early afternoon, and Greet says to me, "How about another rest day tomorrow". Sounds good to me, without even thinking about it. "I don't care if we stay here a week", I said. We mentioned it to Margaret, and before you knew it, another rest day was awaiting us. How could you not take time to enjoy this! In late afternoon, another biker had made it to our campsite. "Jack", from Hawaii, was biking from California to Virginia and had left the same day I did from San Francisco but we had not crossed paths until now. We all ate dinner together and had a campfire and talked into the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment