Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 20 Bryce Canyon, UT to Escalante, UT


After taking two days off the bike, I was fresh and energized to explore new ground. I have never been to Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument (photo above) or to Capital Reef National Park so I am fired up to see these places. I was extremely impressed and delighted at what I saw. The scenery just kept getting better. I had nice, dry weather, a little hot but this is the desert so I expected that. The beauty of today's ride, was that the first few hours of riding were downhill and fast, steep downhill. Pretty fun to being blasting downhill and checking out the sites passing you by. On top of one of the massive downhills I had, I met a group of bikers who were on a organized bike trip with a van, as sag wagon. It was interesting to hear how they like bike touring, but without the hassle of carrying your own gear, food, and setting up camp. They stayed in nice hotels and eat nice meals at restaurant's. By days end, I found camping at Escalante State Park. Just behind the camping was a Petrified Forest, which I hiked into, to see petrified wood that I've never seen before. The camp host was a chatty fellow as he came over to me to shoot the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment