Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 33 Cimmaron, CO to Gunnison, CO

I used the same trick again this morning with the hand dryers in the bathroom. It's seems very important to camp where there is a bathroom with electric hand dryers, because the temperature in the morning has been close to freezing for over a week now. It's the elevation, because I have not been below 6,000' in weeks and it's late September, anything can happen here. I warmed up quickly with a 1500' climb that didn't want to end. I was taking a rest stop along the scenic Gunnison River, as another biker (Bob) pulled up to the picnic table I was at. Bob, was a older man, doing a 3 week tour of all the high passes in Colorado. I never heard of someone that wanted to bike over these high passes. I told Bob, that I was trying to avoid all the high passes of Colorado, but I wasn't doing a very good job of it. It started to rain and we left the rest spot at different times and passed each other a few times, but didn't really bike together at all. I think Bob turned off to attack another high peak down a side road. I was just trying to head east, thinking that was hard enough. I made it to the town of Gunnison. Gunnison, CO is know for being the coldest spot in the Continental US during the winter months. I headed for a KOA campground that I saw on my map. When I arrived, (Mike) the manager asked me how I would like not to set up my tent tonight. What are you talking about I said. We have A-Frame cabins and I will give you one for the same price as a tent site. That sounds great to me, I'll take it. The A-Frame cabin has nothing in it. No bed, no heat, but it did have a light and an outlet to charge my electronics. I laid out my sleeping pad and bag and was plenty warm for the night. Also at the KOA's, they usually have a common area, with a TV and books. I cooked my dinner outside my cabin, (photo above) and ate overlooking a small man made pond. I couldn't thank Mike enough, as he hooked me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment