Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 29 Monticello, UT to Dolores, UT

Alone again! I broke down camp, packed up my gear and headed into town for breakfast. Back to my yogurt and fruit this morning. Major road construction was happening in downtown Monticello, and I had to follow a few detours to get around it , but not much of a problem. Once outside the town of Monticello, the landscape changed to something I had not seen all tour, "farmland". Grass, green grass, and cattle, and sunflower fields, (photo above) this can't be Utah, I said to myself. I was right, a few miles down the road I crossed into my 4th and last state of this tour, "Colorado". It was a nice change of scenery, a lot different than the desert that I have gotten used to over the last few weeks. "Farmlands", I thought Colorado would just be snow capped mountains. This caught me by surprise. As it got later in the day and I got closer to Dolores, Colorado, I could start to see the outlines of mountains in the distance. For sure, one's that I will eventually be climbing in the day's to come. The sky was getting dark as a storm was building. I wasn't going to make it to town before the rain reach me. I saw a large barn, with huge farm equipment and bails of hay stacked high. I saw no one around and ducked into the barn. Just in time as the rain came down hard for half an hour, and gave me a chance to eat my lunch, while not getting soaked. Shortly after lunch I was able to continue on, but the dark sky never went away and always had the threatening look of another downpour. I made it to Dolores, and stopped at the visitors center, and they told me the best place to camp. Dolores River RV Park, was there suggestion, so I headed for it only a few miles away. As I pulled into the camp, the rain came down again. The lady working the RV Park gave me a nice spot along the river to pitch my tent, and off I went to set up. No sooner did I have it set up and the skies really opened up. Very hard rain now, as I grabbed my stove and food bag and headed to the camp rec room, for a warm, dry place to eat dinner. As I was cooking just outside the rec room door, a man came over to me and asked if I am the one that is tent camping, Yes, I am I said. Well, I'm the camp host here, and you are welcome to grab your things and sleep in the rec room for the night. It is raining to hard for you to stay outside tonight. This storm is supposed to last most of the night, and temperatures are going down to the 30's, he said. Yes, thank you very much. I would love to stay in the rec room tonight. That camp host just made my day. I had the place to myself. The room was huge, tables everywhere, 2 bathrooms, and a TV to watch tonight instead of my usual satellite radio. I even stayed up later than normal, and finally went to sleep on the platform, that was built to gives talks to campers.

No comments:

Post a Comment