Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 22 Grover, UT to Hanksville, UT


This is my first time to Capital Reef Nation Park, and what an impression it has made on me. Around every corner, is a new surprise, as you can see in the photo above. Just as I thought it couldn't get any better, it did just that. Somedays, only a handful of vehicles would pass me all day. This day was no exception, as I could ride down the middle of the road for hours without ever having to move. Funny enough, this picture was taking during Utah's "Rush Hour". Just kidding! A far cry from my usual Boston commute to work. Today was a ride I won't soon forget. Not only was the scenery incredible but it was mostly downhill, which hasn't seemed to happen that much around here. That means I could sit back and relax a little as I was taking in the sites mile after mile. I stopped at the Capital Reef National Park Visitor Center and took in the half hour movie about the history of the park. Then had my lunch outside the visitor center under one of the few trees I had seen in days. Shade was at a premium, around this part of the country and I was taking it when I could. I would put Capital Reef NP on my short list of favorite places I've seen in America, that's how impressed I was with this place. On top of having a grand day, I was even happier when I remembered that I was going to meet my Holland friend in camp tonight, or at least I hope they are there, like we talked about a few days ago. Sure enough, pulling into the town of "Hanksville", (which is very small) I saw two bikes outside the town market and two people eating and drinking at the tables beside the front doors. It wasn't my friends like I had thought and hoped but 2 others from Germany, which I talked to, for some time. They told me the Dutch girls were waiting for me at camp and that they too were camping there as well. Just down the street was the Redrock Campground and the girls had just arrived as well. I was so happy to have met back up with them, that I was all smiles the rest of the night. The 3 of us just hit it off, right from the start. We set up camp, cleaned up, and they made a group dinner which was wonderful. Tomorrow we ride together to Lake Powell, and can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment