Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 14 Wah Wah Summit, UT to Milford, UT

Two tough climbs to do today, but sure glad that I broke this ride into two days. It would have been an extremely hard one day ride. When I finally arrived in the town of Milford, Utah (pop. 1451) I had a few options for camping. There was an RV Park and a City Park, which allowed camping. As I was biking around looking to find the RV Park, I noticed an RV with people around it. They looked to be setting things up for the night, but they were the only ones there. I biked over to them and started talking with them. One man named "Clark", (the man in the photo above) invited me to stay at his place for the night. He said that I was welcome to set up my tent for free at his house, on green grass. Again, I can't pass that up. So of course I agreed and thanked him very much. It was only early afternoon at this time, so Clark and the others told me where the library is, and then gave me directions to his home for afterwards. I was very happy to have a safe, comfortable place to stay for the night. I went to the town market first and then the library, but leaving the library I got lost using Clark's directions, so I stopped at the town's small visitors center, which was located inside a section of a train. Set up to help the few visitors who stumble through Milford, Utah. As I walked into the train, I didn't notice anyone there, but as I walked in farther I saw a girl taking a nap, not so busy around here I said as she woke up. I found out that the girl working inside the visitor center was Clark's niece, so it was easy for her to set me straight, small world I said. I showed up at Clark's, and we talked away like long lost pals. After awhile, Clark tells me to clean up, as he wants to take me out to dinner, on him. Wow, how lucky am I, this is great. A place to stay, good company, and now dinner. We drove to Penny's Diner, one of the two places to eat in town. It was a turn back the clock type of diner but very good food, and just great hanging out with Clark. We drove back to Clark's house after and watched TV till bed time. As I was going off to sleep, I was thinking to myself "you never know what will happen while travelling by bicycle along the backroads of America". What a day! Thank you Clark and will always remember you and the beautiful small town of Milford, Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment